The Hearing Voices Network Ireland (HVNI) is one of over 20 nationally-based networks around the world joined by shared goals and values, incorporating a fundamental belief that there are many ways to understand the experience of hearing voices and other unusual or extreme experiences. It is part of an international collaboration between people with lived experience, their families and professionals to develop an alternative approach to coping with emotional distress that is empowering and useful to people, and does not start from the assumption that they have an illness.
Goals of the Hearing Voices Network Ireland Include:
- Raising awareness about voice hearing, visions and other unusual or extreme experiences
- Supporting anyone who has had these experiences by providing opportunities to talk about them freely and without judgment amongst peers
- Supporting anyone who has had these experiences to explore, understand, learn and grow from them in their own way
- Supporting family, friends, workers and the general community to broaden their understanding and ability to support individuals who have had these experiences.
- Promoting access to information and resources about hearing voices and related topics and supporting the development of HVN support groups in accordance with Intervoice
- Providing information for providers, family, friends and the general public on the HVN approach and the experience of hearing voices and other unusual or extreme experiences
- Providing information on training for individuals interested in becoming HVN group facilitators and starting new groups
- Supporting HVN group facilitators to network and support one another
Hearing Voices Network Ireland Website: http://hearingvoicesnetworkireland.ie
Also see Hearing Voice Ireland Website: Hearing Voices Ireland, a website set up by Brian Hartnett to ‘promote and foster acceptance of voice hearing as a valid human experience.
Find A Group
See: http://hearingvoicesnetworkireland.ie/find-a-group-2/ for an updated list of groups
In Northern Ireland
Belfast Hearing Voices Group